Study Visa Information


Please click here for a printable version of the document

The College has become aware that the South African Department of Home Affairs has announced new regulations pertaining to all those travelling to the country through international points of entry and departure. Following investigations we have managed to establish the following information as it relates to minors (under the age of 18). These regulations apply to all travellers both South African and non - South African passport holders.

In terms of the law, Regulation 6: (12) states

  • Where parents are travelling with a child, such parents must produce a certified unabridged birth certificate of the child reflecting the particulars of the parents of the child
  • In the case of one parent travelling with a child, he or she must produce and unabridged birth certificate and a consent in the form of an affidavit from the other parent registered as the parent of the child authorizing him or her to enter into or depart from South Africa.
  • Where a person is travelling with a child who is not his or her biological parent he or she must produce an unabridged birth certificate and copies of the identity documents of the parents or legal guardians. They must also provide the contact details of the parents or legal guardian.
  • For unaccompanied “minors”(under 18 years of age) you must provide the following;

i)        Proof of consent from one or both parents, in the form of an affidavit, for the child to                enter or depart from South Africa

ii)        A letter from the person who is to receive the child in South Africa

iii)       A copy of the identity document of the person who will be receiving the child in South                Africa.  

Please note that these regulations apply, differently, to all our parents who may be considering travel beyond South Africa’s boarders and these regulations are not only confined to those pupils and families that live outside the country. To our South African parents please make sure you familiarize yourself with this new legislation before embarking on any out of country holiday. To our parents living outside the country please note that your children will be required to travel with;

  • An unabridged, certified birth certificate
  • Proof of consent from both parents that you support your child’s entry and exit from South Africa
  • The school will provide you a copy of a letter indicating that your child will be resident at Kingswood and that we are the responsible authority for your child in South Africa.
  • A copy of the College Head’s identity document who will act on behalf of the school as the responsible person receiving the child into South Africa.


The College is appreciative of the burden this places on families but regrettably we have no control over the bureaucratic demands of the Department of Home Affairs. Please can you ensure, in the run up to half term, that your documentation is valid and compliant with the new regulations. The College will assist you with the relevant school documentation. Parents of non-South African children leaving or entering South Africa after 1 June are requested to have the necessary documentation in place with the school by 31 May 2015.
Out of country parents please contact Mrs Cathy Vorster ( or your nearest South African Embassy should you require any further information relating to these new regulations.


Yours faithfully

College Head 

Designed & Developed by Goat Web